Water Policy Timeline
11/06/2009-11/09/2009 - Governor signs water package legislation
11/04/2009 - Legislature passes historic comprehensive water package and sends it to the Governor for his signature
08/18/2009 - Joint informational hearing of the Assembly Water, Parks & Wildlife and Senate Natural Resources & Water Committees
08/04/2009 - Governor expresses his interest in a quick and bipartisan comprehensive water plan that focuses on water supply reliability, conservation, environmental protection and increased storage
08/04/2009 - Senate President pro Tem Steinberg and Assembly Speaker Karen Bass announce their planned path to water solution
04/14/2009 and 4/28/2009 - Senate water and delta policy bills heard and acted upon
04/2009 - 06/2009 - Bipartisan/bicameral working groups on water meet, covering topics that include:
- What are Governance & Stewardship?
- What Lessons Are To Be Learned From CalFed?
- What Governance Functions Do We Need To Incorporate Into Our Plan?
- Status of Bay Delta Conservation Plan (BDCP) Governance Discussions
- Delta Protection Commission & Straw Proposal #1
- Delta Protection Commission, History and Outlook
- Federal Government Participation & Straw Proposal #2
- Governance Issues of SWP, CVP, & Conveyance & Straw Proposal #3
- Funding the Delta Plan & Straw Proposal #4 - Governance Issues with Beneficiaries Pay
- Review of Governance Proposals & Initial Guiding Principles
03/10/2009 - Senate Natural resources and Water Committee Hearing on Overview of California Water Rights Law
02/24/2009 - Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee Hearing on Delta Vision and Bay Delta Conservation Plan
02/6/2009 - Senate Natural Resources and Water Hearing - Improving Water Conservation and Management in Southern California
December 2008 - Pro Tem Steinberg announces comprehensive water policy is one of three goals for 2009 legislative session. Pro Tem directs policy to conduct series over overview hearings on water policy, and, along with Speaker of the Assembly, creates bipartisan/bicameral member water working groups on water policy.